Famous French PeopleOn June 10, 2016 by admin
In all countries, there are people that are well known at home whilst being unknown abroad. This is certainly true in France, but naturally some French people have achieved fame or infamy on a global scale.
Here are just a few of France’s most internationally famous names:
- Joan of Arc (1412-1431) became famous for leading successful military campaigns against the English during the Hundred Years War. She was captured by the English in 1430 and burned at the stake for heresy.
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821) is still considered one of the greatest military commanders the world has ever known and was once feared throughout continental Europe, much of which he came to control.
- Coco Chanel (1883-1971) was the internationally renowned founder of the Chanel fashion brand. She famously spent the latter half of her life as a permanent resident of the Paris Ritz Hotel.
- Édith Piaf (1915-1963) is still adored by France and the wider world for her touching and passionately delivered songs, which often reflected her own eventful and troubled life.
- Brigitte Bardot (1934-) became globally famous during the 1960s as a voluptuous model and actress, seemingly epitomizing French sensuality. In her older age, she has become a high-profile campaigner for animal rights.